When I observe the people in my life, I see that some of them are sad, worried and confused.
They are confused because they don’t know what they want expect from their lives. More interestingly, they don’t even think about questioning it. I thought if someone could really avoid asking what she wanted from her life. And I realized that it could actually happen. Let me tell you how:
- Some of these people are not brave enough to go after their own dreams and desires. Because when they pursue their own path they also have to take the responsibility of their lives. On the other hand, if they take their steps in life according to other people’s expectations, then they will have the chance to blame others for what happen in their own lives. They are afraid of taking responsibility and failing in realization of their dreams.
- Most of them have a “picture” that they represent to in the outside world. This is usually a picture of a very strong and successful person. If they fail on their self chosen path, they feel afraid of being humiliated and loosing that picture on which they spent years to create. However the reality truth is that their life is getting lost… Instead of taking a wrong step, they choose not to take any steps at all.
- The desires of the inner child and the desires of the inner parents contradict each other. If they haven’t already started managing their own lives, the voice of the parents in their ears becomes more dominant. Some of them are worried about saddening their parents while others are worried about not getting approval or not even being loved. Turning the voice of the parents off while turning the voice of the inner self on is a process that needs to be learned.
- Most of them think “I should either do the work that I love or the work that will earn me lots of money” I don’t know what happened to the jobs that had both so that they decided not to search for these jobs they both love and also make lots of money from. Yet, there is one thing that all the wealthy people seem to agree about: If you love what you do, money will follow you anyway. Many years ago, they asked Benetton’s advertisement expert when he created those world wide popular advertisements: “When do you go on vacation?” And his answer was:“I am on vacation everyday” What if we could go after a job in which we could get as much pleasure as we are on vacation?
- And finally some people are afraid that their dreams will become true. They think as if they will not be able to replace their realized dreams with a new dream.
So after all these, you have decided to ask yourself the question of “What do I want?” and take the steps that you are willing to take. How will you search the answer to this question? Will you sit down and close your eyes as if in a meditation and repeat “What do I want, what do I want?”
In my opinion, there is nothing to exaggerate in such a way. Because, the things that you do with love and passion should have already become evident during these many years. I don’t even remember taking breaks at school until the end of the 3rd year at middle school. Because, in every break, I used to play my flute that I carried with me. At home, I would accompany the cassettes of the famous singers with my flute. This would go on for many hours. Could you have a child do this by force? See, passion is something like that. Take a look at your life; what were those things that you used to do with this much passion?
If you are similar to some of the people that I listed above, let’s take a step towards the new. Let’s move our heads away from our daily hustle and bustle and search the answers to these three questions: How do you dream yourself when you are 90 years old? Are you currently walking on this path? What is the smallest change that you could do in your life right now, so that you can reach your dream of yourself at the age of 90?
Sometimes a question can change a life. You will be able to find what you want much easier by looking ahead way further; not by looking at just tomorrow from today.